Wednesday 12 December 2007

Expressions and Passions -- Tokyo


Dear Kawamura,
Sorry for not promptly reply your email. It was also great for me talking to you. Thanks for your inspiring appreciation. I do appreciate it and I believe that is already my way of life, from now on and in the future, I hope.

I do appreciate your openness and frank manner in trying to be transparent.
Basically I don't take it personally because it is fair enough when someone is saying 'I am the headache' or as such (can be seen or perceived as enemy, aggressor, provocateur, anti-development, anti-nationalism, etc.) where bu Rosediana or other similar people are in the position of defending the Indonesian palm oil industry by whatever means including sacrificing indigenous peoples' and local communities' rights in the name of national interests.

I do realise the situation but it is a funny that is being a 'headache' to others means that I am now considered as 'prominent or famous' for such group of people! Ha...ha...ha...., sorry I am laughing at myself... who am I? I am just an indigenous person coming from very remote area in the deeper hearth of Borneo/Kalimantan, just like other people as human being but uphold different principle of 'to be with the most suffered' people.

Talking about bu Rosediana, frankly I do respect her, as a mother or perhaps my grandmother to me. She is very smart and clever, and very kind but sometime she hard to understand or probably difficult to be real 'friend' with because she is smiling with different faces. We are, Rosediana and I, working together in the Indonesian National Interpretation Working Group (INA-NIWG) and Verification/Certification Working Group (VWG) but representing different group, she is on behalf of Indonesian Palm Oil Commission (IPOC) -- government + business body, while I am of NGO who is claiming representing social interests. I believe we have a very unique relationship. And, yes, it is extremely unique affairs! I am also working together with her son, Mr. Adrian Suharto, in the Indonesian Smallholders Working Group (SWG) that we set up together in January this year!

I am happy, at least until now me still trying to maintain such unique and unbelievable working relationship with those people. And will be still like this until indefinite time.... I won't stop our relationship except they do want to. I don't pay special attention to the 'headache' but I do care a little bit about her dissatisfaction. She has power to control me and my life, she can do everything. But I believe she cannot stop the inner spirit of justice for the most suffered people because injustice in any forms is enemy to all human being who believe with truthfulness.

However, from diverse reasons and justifications I got, the most important thing is that I am coming from the people where we are affected severely by palm oil business. She is now a retired government officer, a former Indonesian WTO negotiator who can move and go at anytime from my people, my place, and oil palm business when time is up for her. But not for me because as far as I am concerned the issues and the problems are still there with and affected my beloved indigenous sisters and brothers, mothers and fathers, who will up and raise them from the problems??? If not me and other supportive group of people like you both, who else want to help and save those less advantaged indigenous people?

By the way, thanks for your hospitality and warmest conversations during the RT5 RSPO and Hosei-Tokyo workshop. Frankly saying, I like Japan a lot! The last meeting in Tokyo, was the fourth time for me been visited Tokyo, make me crazy about everything related to Japan except.....the very expensive living cost!!! How do you make a living in very expensive Tokyo daily personal expenditures? I could not imagine how much money you have to spend in everyday life for accessories as young beautiful girl in your age!

However, basically I don't really care about high cost of life in Japan, I do always want to have opportunity to go to Japan someday in the future, and I do believe that there will be another dozen of chances to visit Japan, meet with you all in Tokyo. Who knows?

To be honest I am very happy to have ever known and met you all, the future chance of meetings either one or both of you. So don't worry about your email because I like transparency and frank expressions.

For reminder amongst us, see attached our photo in Arcadia Ichigaya Hotel before we went down for interview. I like our photo very much. It is a very special photo for me because the moment between two beautiful girls!

I am now answering some relevant questions of your investigation on sustainability concerns of palm oil production and palm biomass. I will just answer which I think the most relevant with social issues and perhaps environmental issues.

Do you have deadline for me? I wonder if you have skype account so we can have online communication either by messenger or phone. If you do have please add my skype account norman.jiwan to your link.

You are invited to come and visit my indigenous village in Borneo! Whenever you want to and ready!

Look forward to hearing from you more.

Best wishes,
Norman Jiwan

No comments:

About Me

Born 8th May 1977, Mabah village of Dayak Kerambai tribe, West Kalimantan, Borneo island. He was trained at pedagogy and education faculty on English teaching at Tanjungpura University, Pontianak, West Kalimantan. Holding certificates on environmental leadership program, research, journalist, fire prevention, teaching, human rights & indigenous peoples in the international system, sustainable forest management, and sustainable palm oil. Co-author published domestic and international books. Experience speaker and resource person in seminars, conferences, workshops, and symposium both regional and international fora including in Brazil, Cambodia, Finland, France, Japan, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Philippines, United States, and Vietnam. Active member of Executive Board of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil represents Sawit Watch (2008-2012). Currently he lives in Bogor. Volunteer and activist works with WALHI Kalbar (2002-2004) and Sawit Watch (2004-2012). June 2013-2016, Executive Director of TuK INDONESIA. Consultant for Forest Peoples Programme (2013), MFP-III (2015), and ELSAM (2017).

Disclaimer

This blog is intended exclusively for the author own purposes. It may contain confidential and personal information. No rights can be derived from this blog’s messages. Views or opinions presented in this blog do not necessarily represent those of organisation of the author of this blog. Author accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the electronic transmission of messages, nor is Author responsible for the proper and complete transmission of any improper use of the information from the blog.